I just got off the phone with the track owner and to no real surprise I found out that he had done nothing at all to prepare the track besides an episode of rain and sticky(er) snow he claims is still not malleable.
There’s supposedly a winter driving learning course scheduled on January 9th but that only uses part of the dragway and cones. He did however promise me that he will be talking with the snow removal company he will hire for this particular event if they can make him a good price to clear out the rest of the track. I have little faith this will turn out positive.
He told me about some other guy who is interested in winter lapping who works at a nearby ski resort in slope maintenance. He might be able to strike a deal with him to do something, bring equipment, whatever. I once again offered my help but I got the impression that I am not truly valued as a customer.
On my end, if only I’d known that this season would turn out this way I might have been able to plan differently. It seems that the only way I’d be able to get something done would be to buy or rent snow removal machinery which would ironically leave me without a budget to run the car.
As such, I have taken the decision that I will no longer be counting on being able to go to the track this winter. I am trying not to let this get to me as I am currently working on fixing the issues found last time. I am also using the downtime to work on “free” improvements that were already planned for next year’s evolution. If it gets down to not being able to run the car then I will work on it instead, not that I am truly happy about it though. Anyway, I will be waiting a few weeks before I commit the rest of my budget to improving the build further, just in case.
It is quite funny though since the situation reminds me of the people who were hard a work building Group B cars in 1986 when the ban came: they ended up with cars they could not run. How fitting for me.