You guys remember that the cars in the Lites class are all IDENTICAL? Yup, it’s a class rule. They were designed by Andreas Eriksson of Olsberg-MSE and are manufactured by Avitas Motorsports in Turkey. They feature a mid-engine AWD drivetrain with around 310~320 BHP. Purpose built machines from A to Z.
Anyhow, I was looking at pictures I took from the RX event, mainly those in the paddock:
Look at that tiny radiator. The races might last less than 5~6 mins but dang is it small! Look at the plumbing too, so twisty. I also noticed that there was no intercooler. What? No way it stays cool! Hmmm, that exhaust, where’s the turbo? I began a quick search and found my answer: they are not turbo engines! No wonder they didn’t pop so much. Heck, no wonder they wailed louder than the Supercar class! Did you also notice the tiny driveshaft that goes up front for the AWD system? From the transfer case cover, it almost looks chain or pulley driven. The whole thing looks more like an ATV than a car, doesn’t it?!
Here’s a few official specs I found online:
• Tubular Spaceframe Structure combined with high performance composite plastic exterior and interior body.
• CDS rollcage.
• Dimensions: Length: 3800mm. Width: 1800mm. Wheelbase: 2489mm.
• Weight: 1100kg minimum with driver included.
• Naturally aspired Ford Duratec 2400cc (OLSBERGS/MOUNTUNE Design).
• Four cylinders, 16 valves
• PECTEL ECU.
• Power: 320 bhp
• Torque: 300 Nm (221 lb-ft)
• Permanent four-wheel drive with 2 LSD differentials.
• 6 speed sequential SADEV gearbox.
• ALCON 2 plate carbon clutch.
• Front – Double wishbone suspension. ÖHLINS TTX adjustable dampers.
• Rear – Double wishbone suspension. ÖHLINS TTX adjustable dampers.
• Front – ALCON 330 mm ventilated brake discs with 4 piston brake calipers.
• Rear – ALCON 330 mm ventilated brake discs with four pistons calipers.
• 2013 spec. (17×8) lightweight MOTEGI RACING wheel rims.
• COOPER molded rallycross tyres.
Ford Duratec… geez, is there anything these engines can’t do? You can almost compare it to the “universal” GM 350 V8.
We do have a saying here in Québec: “Quand on se compare, on se console.” Which basically means: “When we compare, we find solace.” Well, errrrr, that isn’t true now isn’t it?!
1100 kg minimum weight and that’s WITH the driver. Surely, it must weigh less than 1000 kg and they probably have to use ballasts if the driver ain’t fat enough! Haha! To be fair, it is a spaceframe with plastic. Torque is a bit low though at 221 lb-ft, blame small displacement NA on that one.