*work performed in May 2014*
I figured that making such a feature would be beneficial since there’s only an 8 inch gap between the front bumper lip and the winch box when the car is in the right tie-down spot. Luckily enough, that spot is right near the edge of the checkerplates.
I had some spare flat bars from the side rails addition so it was easy enough to cut them to the proper dimensions, drill holes, and weld it all up. Here’s the parts prior to welding and assembly:
Installed on the trailer:
No pics with the car on since I got hurt before that could happen. Anyhow, the angle will prevent the tires from being chipped away and it’ll be high enough for a good feel when bumping them. I have also made them easily removable if I’d need the entire flat deck for something.
At this moment, the very last thing that’s left to do on this trailer would be the spare tire mount. However, that is very low in my priorities and will be focusing my attention elsewhere when I get better. Until then, I’ll simply dump the spare in the truck bed before leaving for a trip…