*originally posted in April 2014 (updates merged)*
I tackled the need to reinforce the ramp system. Remember, those things are 12 feet long and need to handle the entire weight of a car. I used 1 3/4″ x 3/8″ steel flatbars. I wanted aluminium but that size isn’t available. I proceeded to slide them through the ramp channels:
I welded them at every feet crosswise. Sure, the flatbars have barely any strength on the flat side. However, try to bend them on the edge side, it’s fucking not possible unless major pressure is involved. Those ramps are rock solid now. I’ve then added a stopper plate on each ramp:
How heavy per ramp you say? Oh, I dunno… maybe 125 pounds each! It’s actually not that bad when you have only one end in your hands!
I’ve then added stopper plates on the trailer itself so that when you pull the ramps out they do not fall off the trailer. Here’s how it looks with the ramps in place:
In the next weeks, I’ll add leather handles to the ramps and safety pins to keep the ramps in place when on the road. For now, rubber bungees will do fine for that.
Of course, even if I did reinforce the ramps, their length require some sort of support in the middle to make sure they don’t bend past the point of no return (making them permanently bent and impossible to slide back in). A double pair of jack stands will do fine:
Noticed something in the last pic? Aye, I’ve made adjustable supports for the tail of the trailer. Not as much as to protect the tail section but as to help protect the tongue beam from flexing upwards when loading the car. I made them adjustable every half inch (holes are spaced every inch on each side but offset by a half inch in comparison to the other). I also color coded them (blue passenger side, red driver side) since I custom made them to match my inclined driveway.
A simple way to prevent the ramps from sliding out when on the road. A quick, cheap, and simple spring latch system usually used on tailgates:
I used a simple looped strap to help pull the ramps out. I think I had those from some leaf blower accessory I had in years past. With those additions, the ramp system is now complete!