*originally posted in Feb~March 2014 (updates merged)*
I had a great deal on a 2 5/16″ ball coupler with a 15,000 lbs capacity. Did you say overkill? Hey, I got it cheap!
Then I proceeded to install the axle suspension points. It came in the form of a strip and brackets. I didn’t fabricate it as it came with the axle package I bought. However, I did insist it be made of stainless steel for long term longevity. Not taking chances, I painted them black and added a strip of duct tape to avoid electrolysis:
I had to drill the holes though. It wasn’t easy to drill through 1/2″ SS let me tell you! I’m glad I had my floor press drill but I totally killed my drill bit doing it. No matter, the job is done!
The brackets installed:
I used the coupler triangulation method for proper alignment. The trailer should track straight on the road. I can’t wait to try it out but I’m not quite there yet!
Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the axles installation. The reason for this is that I suffered from a herniated disc in the process. It took me about 3 weeks to recover and slowly start working on the project again. I can only say that the shop who provided me with the axles and suspension failed me on every turn. The axles were not of the correct length nor were the suspension leafs springs. After much trouble, I managed to source the correct axles, suspension, and to install them proper.
ALL JACKED UP!
I’ve done some easy stuff to get back into it, like installing the jack:
I welded a plate to the tongue beam so that the jack is securely mounted on. Those who’ve used these types of jacks before know that when it’s only installed with clamp style bolts around the beam that the fucking thing just wobbles and constantly needs tightening. Not with this plate it won’t!
BITE MY SHINY METAL…
About that leftover diamondplate strip I mentioned in anothe update… well, this is what I’ve done to it:
Marking metal is easier by using the smallest punch in the set rather than using a pen that could be erased with handling… it makes for a nice cut:
Same thing was done to the other side. Now, the most observant of you fellas surely can guess where that strip will go!
I’ve added a flatbrace to serve as a “pole” to hold the trailer’s wire up above everything else for safety. I also installed the chains at the proper length but I didn’t cut the excess. That way I can repair or adjust the chains to fit every vehicle:
Here’s a shot coupled to the pickup truck:
Clean and safe!