*originally posted in Dec 2013 (merged updates)*
I have finally finished making plans to fabricate my very own car hauler trailer. I should start buying the materials very soon. The work should begin during the holidays. I’ll need my garage space for this so I’ll have to park my car in the driveway while I do this, hence the parking brake! For those would be thieves out there, my car will NOT spend the nights outside. I have a plan for building the trailer in phases that will allow me to turn it away against a wall each night. That means I shouldn’t work on the car very much this winter. However, I will share the trailer project with my honorable readers!
For flooring, my original plan was aluminium diamondplate / checkerplate panels but DAMN it was WAY too expensive! Wood deck it is then, and if treated each year or two there’s no reason it shouldn’t last me a long time!
The aluminium construction, although a bit more expensive than steel, should easily last me my car hauling lifetime. Hence why I was willing to invest a bit more in that department. In all, my trailer should cost me only about 60% of the price of the cheapest steel unit available, 45% of a galvanized, and 30% of one in aluminium.
The only feature that I won’t implement this year will be my tarp box frame idea. Of course, a closed box trailer from the get-go would have been awesome for privacy and to protect the car from the elements, but it’s out of my budget still. I did have some issues last year when other motorists would brake and swerve besides me on the highway to catch a better glimpse or to photograph the car on the trailer. Alternatively, I thought about making a simple square open box frame that would slide in the tie-down points, and then having a tarp made to fit over it. I’ve already made a similar system for my father’s trailer and it works great. You can easily remove it if you need total access all around the trailer. It’s more versatile than a permanent closed box system…
Here’s some basic details; 16 foot long deck X 80 inches wide (this was chosen for convenience/cost: 3 X 20 feet channels (the only length available) cut in 3 = 80 inches crossmembers), 2 X 3,500 lb drop axles with electric brakes, and the rest I’m keeping to myself until it’s done!